A mum has revealed that she saved her eight-year-old son’s life after noticing a red rash develop near a wound on his arm following a fall on a trip to the zoo.
The mum shared a Facebook post to warn other mums of the life-threatening condition and reveal the typical symptoms of sepsis.
Sepsis is the body’s reaction to infection. If left undetected and untreated, sepsis can develop into sepsis shock to the cardiovascular system, causing very low blood pressure, which stops blood flowing to the vital organs.
Alexandra said: ‘I’ve been in two minds whether to post this but my husband convinced me as he said if I hadn’t been here he wouldn’t have realised. I am sure there are other parents who wouldn’t either and the only reason I knew is because it had happened to a friend’s son 2 years ago and she had shared.
‘A week or so ago the littlest fell over at the zoo. He took quite a bashing but once we got home I cleaned him up. I rang school on Farm school day to make sure he washed his hands after digging and I tried hard to ensure it was kept clean (hand and elbow). He’s an 8 yr old boy however.
‘The wounds didn’t look infected- they’d got bigger so I was concerned but they weren’t gunky etc. Yesterday on our way to the beach he showed me his hand. I wasn’t happy as I noticed red tracking down his vein. I then checked his elbow – the same. I took him down to the out of hours feeling a bit silly but when the doctor saw it he commended me on recognising it and getting down ASAP.’
I’ve been in two minds whether to post this but my husband convinced me as he said if I hadn’t been here he wouldn’t have realised. I am sure there are other parents who wouldn’t either and the only…
She continued: ‘This is blood poisoning/ sepsis. It isn’t something you can “leave” until Monday when the doctors are back in the office.
‘Thankfully the antibiotics are working and he is well in himself! If you spot this red line running from a wound along the vein get yourself/ your child seen straight away. Hopefully my post might help someone the way my friend’s post from 2 years ago helped me 😍.’
Fortunately, after Alexandra spotted the symptoms, her son got the treatment he needed.
Other symptoms include feeling dizzy, faint, confused, vomiting, diarrhoea and mottled skin.