Mum warns parents after her nine-year-old daughter was badly burned by glittery phone case

  • We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
  • A mum has shared a warning to all parents about the dangers of toxic phone cases, after her nine-year-old daughter was left with a burn on her leg.

    Olivia Retter was left with a phone-shaped burn on her leg after toxic liquid spilled from her phone case while she was sleeping.

    Her mum, Karly Retter, shared the terrifying incident on Facebook in a bid to warn other parents of the dangers other children may face with this kind of phone case.

    In the post, Olivia’s mum wrote: ‘Please share this as much as possible this case is full of acid and if it cracks it will cause 3rd-2nd degree burns this is the damage it has caused my daughter and she will be scarred for life ! A lot of girls have these at the moment so just be careful’

    The warning has had over 40,000 shares on Facebook since it was posted, on 8th January. 

    Log In or Sign Up to View

    See posts, photos and more on Facebook.

    The nine year old from Ware, Hertfordshire, suffered the burns when a toxic liquid spilled from the cover of her iPhone 5C, after she fell asleep on it.

    Olivia got the glittery phone case from New Look, for £5.99 on 27th December, but there was no warning about the toxic liquid.

    Karly, 35, told The Sun that her daughter was not supposed to have her phone in her bedroom, but she sneaked it in the bed that night.

    ‘She woke up in the middle of the night and came into my room and said her leg was hurting – I just thought she was being silly and sent her back to bed. Then in the morning I saw this awful burn on her leg – I was so shocked a phone case could do that,’ Olivia’s mum said.

    Doctors told Karly that her daughter suffered a severe chemical burn and that her leg would be scarred for life.

    Log In or Sign Up to View

    See posts, photos and more on Facebook.

    New Look announced in a statement that the phone case is now being removed from sale across its stores, and that they will take this complaint ‘extremely seriously’.

    Karly is now urging parents to be extra careful about similar phone cases that could also contain toxic substances.

    ‘There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself – nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns’, Karly said. ‘Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face – it could have gone on her face or her eyes.’

    The mother-of-three continued: ‘You just don’t think something like that could happen. A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are.’

    Have your kids ever suffered an injury like Olivia? Leave us a comment below