Quorn have issued an urgent recall of one of their ready-meals across stores in the UK and Ireland.
Customers were told not to eat the brand’s pre-prepared curry due to rubber contamination fears that could pose a choking hazard.
‘On Monday 12 February 2018, Quorn Foods initiated the recall of 15,660 packs of Quorn Chilled Tikka Masala with Basmati Rice ready-meal 400g,’ an official statement by the company said.
‘The recall is being initiated because a small number of consumers have reported finding a small piece of flexible rubber in the masala sauce of their product, all with the use-by date of 1 March 2018
‘The safety and wellbeing of our customers is our No 1 priority, which is why we instigated this recall as soon as we became aware of the issue. We would stress that this recall relates to a manufacturing issue which has now been rectified.’
Quorn products are available to buy at supermarkets including Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose and Asda
Quorn went on to state that none of their other products had been affected by the issue.
The Food Standards Agent explained that the recall occurred ‘because the presence of rubber makes this product unsafe to ease and presents a safety risk’.
Quorn also discussed their decision to pull the dish from shelves on Twitter, prompting one follower to worry about consuming one from the bad batch.
‘I ate one of these today with the use by date of 1st March. Is there a health risk?’ they asked.
Keen to put the customer at ease, Quorn quickly replied saying: ‘If you ate a meal and didn’t have any you’ll be fine.’
Priced at £3 and approved by the Vegetarian Society, Quorn’s microwavable meal in question contains Mycoprotein, a meat substitute that’s high in fibre and protein as well as being low in saturated fat.