The sweet rose flavour compliments the nuttiness in this quick to make and impressive apple filo pastry tart (opens in new tab). Filo pastry is a lighter option than puff or shortcrust pastry – so a great choice for when you want a better for you take on a sweet pie or tart. The frangipane filling makes this apple (opens in new tab) filo pastry tart feel really luxurious, but at only around 150 calories a serving you needn’t worry about sneaking a second slice of this apple tart.
- 3 sheets of filo pastry
- 4 Royal Gala apples, cored and cut into 3mm thick slices
- 10g unsalted butter, melted
For the frangipane:
- 30g unsalted butter, softened
- 1tsp golden caster sugar
- ¼tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g ground almonds
- a couple of drops of rose extract
- 1 egg yolk, we used Clarence Court eggs
You will also need:
- Baking tray 20 x 30cm lined with baking parchment
- Preheat oven to 220C/Gas 7. Place one sheet of the filo pastry on the lined baking tray, brush with a very thin layer of melted butter, place the second layer of pastry on top and again coat with the butter, place the final layer on top and tuck the overhanging pastry in to create a lip. Put the remaining butter to one side to coat the apples later.
- To make the frangipane: Mix the butter, sugar, ground cinnamon and almond. In a separate bowl combine 1tbsp water with the rose essence and egg yolk, gradually incorporate this into the almond mixture.
- Spread the frangipane over the filo base and randomly arrange the apples on top, brush the remaining melted butter over the apples, then using a sieve dust a little ground cinnamon on the top. Bake for 30 mins.
Rose Fooks is Deputy Food Editor at Future Publishing, creating recipes, reviewing products and writing food features for a range of lifestyle and home titles including GoodTo and Woman&Home. Before joining the team, Rose obtained a Diplome de Patisserie and Culinary Management at London’s Le Cordon Bleu. Going on to work in professional kitchens at The Delaunay and Zedel.
Lemon tart is a classic recipe that's also a family favourite. It's so easy to make and taste delicious too. A simple dessert for sharing!
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Tomato and sweetcorn flan
By Sue McMahon • Published
Tomato and pepper galettes
This tasty tart is full of Mediterranean flavours, with ripe plum tomatoes and sweet peppers your family will love this summery recipe.
By Jessica Dady • Published
This Peshwari naan recipe is simple and makes a great Indian cuisine side dish. They only take minutes to cook and complete any classic Indian dish...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken and wild mushroom pie
A tender chicken and rich wild mushroom pie recipe by The Hairy Bikers. Ready in just six simple steps...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Chicken and mushroom pie
This chicken and mushroom pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. It's made with double cream, and white wine, and is infused with thyme...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published