This sophisticated tart combines the delicate flavour of asparagus with the creamy French cheese
- 375g (13oz) shortcrust pastry
- 450g (1lb) fine asparagus, trimmed and blanched
- 2 medium eggs, plus 1 medium egg yolk
- 225ml (8fl oz) double cream
- 4tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 150g (5oz) Brie, cubed
- a fluted rectangular tart tin, 33cm x 10cm x 2.5cm (13in x 4in x 1in)
Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, 375°F, gas mark 5). Line the tart tin with the pastry, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins, remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans, and bake for a further 5 mins.
Arrange the asparagus over the base of the pastry; snip the spears to the right length so they lie widthways across the tin and use the snipped ends to fill the base. Beat together the eggs, yolk, cream and chives and season well. Pour over the asparagus and scatter over the Brie, pushing some of the cheese under the asparagus. Bake for 20 mins until set and lightly golden. Allow to stand and set for 20 mins before serving with a crisp green salad.
Top tip for making Asparagus and Brie tart
If you're feeling more adventurous, make your own shortcrust pastry.