Baked mackerel (opens in new tab) with fennel (opens in new tab) and cannellini beans is an easy and elegant all-in-one supper. Mackerel is a great source of heart-healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, as well as being a good source of vitamin D. This nutritious fish (opens in new tab) has also been recommended by the Marine Society as a fish we should all be eating more of, as it is a more sustainable choice than popular white fish, and supports the British fishing industry. We’ve used cannellini beans to add extra protein to this baked mackerel dish, and make it a substantial meal without being too carb-heavy. The dressing has a lovely kick of horseradish, which complements the oily fish really well, and the fresh flavour of fennel makes this one tray fish roast something a bit different.
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced into wedges
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained
- few sprigs rosemary
- 2 whole mackerel, filleted
For the dressing
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp horseradish
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 3tbsp black olives, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Arrange the sliced fennel and red onion on a baking tray, then drizzle with olive oil and roast for 15 mins. Add the drained cannellini beans and rosemary and return to the oven for 10 more mins. Place the mackerel fillets on top of the veg, skin side up and return to the oven for 5-7 mins.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, mix together the olive oil, horseradish, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove the tray of baked mackerel and veg from the oven, top with olives, and drizzle over the dressing to serve.
Warm potato salad with smoked mackerel
This warm potato salad with smoked mackerel recipe is so easy to make. This 487 calorie fish salad recipe is delicious, easy and on the table in only 15 minutes!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published