Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
BBQ scallops (opens in new tab) with pancetta and aioli are a sophisticated barbecue dish with so much flavour. Serving your BBQ scallops with a homemade aioli is so impressive, but much easier than you’d think. For your aioli, use a good-quality mild olive oil, not extra virgin olive oil as the flavour will be too strong, or a mixture of olive and rapeseed oil. If you’re looking for a grown up dish to grill, with a bit of fancy flair, then BBQ scallops with pancetta and aioli are exactly what you need.
- 6 king scallops in their shells
- 4 slices pancetta, cut in half
For the aioli
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 150ml olive oil
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- To make the aioli, place the egg yolk in a bowl with the crushed garlic and a pinch of salt and whisk together using a balloon whisk. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, just 2-3 drops at a time to begin with, until the mixture starts to thicken and emulsify. Once this happens, you can add the oil in a thin stream, whisking all the time, until nearly all of it has been incorporated. Whisk in the lemon juice, then gradually whisk in the rest of the oil until you have a smooth, thick mayonnaise. Taste and season with a little more salt, if you think it is necessary.
- For the scallops, place a half slice of pancetta over each scallop in the shell. Heat the BBQ to a high heat, place the scallops in the shells directly onto the grill and cover with the BBQ hood and cook for 4-6 minutes. Alternatively, to cook in the oven, preheat the grill to 230°C and cook for the same time. Once cooked, remove and season the scallops, then serve with the aioli.
Rose Fooks is Deputy Food Editor at Future Publishing, creating recipes, reviewing products and writing food features for a range of lifestyle and home titles including GoodTo and Woman&Home. Before joining the team, Rose obtained a Diplome de Patisserie and Culinary Management at London’s Le Cordon Bleu. Going on to work in professional kitchens at The Delaunay and Zedel.
Low-fat chicken burgers
If you love a burger but want to find a healthy alternative try this one using lower-fat ingredients.
By Keiron George • Published
Creme Egg cupcakes
By Victoria Threader • Published
Battered salmon and chips
This timeless dish has had a makeover, using fresh salmon. We call this classy fish and chips!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Archie and Lilibet could be set for a special vacation this summer
Archie and Lilibet visited the UK for the Queen’s Jubilee and they might just be about to experience a traditional royal vacation…
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'will NOT visit the Queen at Balmoral' this summer
Prince Harry and Meghan will not be reuniting with the royal family at Balmoral this summer, according to reports
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Kate Middleton suffered this embarrassing 'condom prank' while working a summer job
Kate Middleton was once the victim of a rather embarrassing 'condom prank'
By Naomi Jamieson • Published