Enjoy the taste of summer fruits by making these berry meringues. Blend raspberries and add to egg whites to create your own meringues. Once baked leave to cool and then top with crème fraîche and cherries.
- 100g (3½oz) raspberries
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3 medium egg whites
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
For the topping
- 250g (8oz) cherries, halved and pitted
- 3 tbsp kirsch (or cherry brandy)
- 200ml pot crème fraîche
2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to Gas Mark ½ or 120ºC. Put the raspberries into a bowl with the vinegar and blend to a smooth purée with a stick blender.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until the whites double in volume and form stiff peaks. Keep the whisk running and add the sugar, a tbsp at a time, until all the sugar is used and the whites are glossy. Add the raspberry purée to the mixture and gently fold in to create a marbled effect.
- Using a large serving spoon, place 8 large ovals on to the prepared baking trays. Bake for 2 hours until the meringues are crisp and lift off the paper easily. Leave to cool. (You can store them for up to a week in an airtight container.)
- Put the halved and pitted cherries into a bowl and pour over the kirsch or cherry brandy. Leave to macerate for 1 hour.
- To serve: Spoon a dollop of crème fraîche on to each meringue and top with a few cherries and juice.
Top Tip for making Berry meringues
You can serve topped with a combination of raspberries and cherries
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of conten