Bill Granger's sausage, tomato and mozzarella melt is a great way of turning cold, leftover sausages into a delicious snack.
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ciabatta, cut into 4 equal lengths and split horizontally
- 4 cooked sausages (I like Italian), sliced on the diagonal
- 1 buffalo mozzarella, 125-150g, sliced
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Handful basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7). Put the tomatoes in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 mins, until the sauce is reduced and thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the ciabatta bases on a baking tray. Spread with the tomato sauce and top with the sliced sausages and mozzarella. Grind over some pepper, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 mins.
- Lay the ciabatta tops on the baking tray and return to the oven for a few minutes, until these slices are toasted and the cheese topping on the others is bubbling.
- To serve, lay some basil leaves on the bubbling mozzarella and top with the toasted slices of bread.
Top Tip for making Bill Granger's sausage & mozzarella melt
Bill says, 'You can use leftover pasta sauce if you have some, rather than make the tomato sauce.'
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Bill Granger is an Australian chef and food writer who started his early career training as an artist in Sydney but his passion slowly moved to food and he became a self taught chef. By 1993, Bill decided to open his first restaurant, Bill's, in Sydney, that serves legendary breakfast. By 1996, he had opened two restaurants in the city which were both huge immediate successes, creating a name for himself as one to watch in Australia's food industry. Since then Bill is now the brains behind worldwide restaurant chain Granger & Co. with restaurants all over London, Australia, Tokoyo, Seoul and Hawaii and has written 11 best-selling cookbooks and recorded five cookery series, where he explores the produce, cuisines and locations across the world. It is apparent that Bill's sunny, relaxed approach to food is one of the reasons for his popularity across the world and also his love for making recipes that are hearty as well as super quick and easy to follow. Like the sound of Bill's recipes? Check out our Bill Granger recipe collection.
Sausage and bean stew
Our sausage and bean stew is a fail-safe family recipe. It's basically baked beans and sausages, but it's so good you'll never want to eat them out of a tin again.
By Jessica Dady Published
Mexican bean sausage soup
Mexican bean and sausage soup is a warm and filling dinner or lunch recipe that you'll want to make time and time again with spicy chorizo and more
By Nichola Palmer Published
Beans and sausage bake
This beans and sausage bake is packed with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, tomato sauce. A perfect sausage supper.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published