There's nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up. This butterbean and bacon soup can even be frozen, the perfect quick fix.
A portion of this soup is just 380 calories per serving. This recipe takes just five steps to make. The soup is infused with smoked bacon, onion and sage.
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon,chopped
- 1 ham or chicken stock cube
- 2 x 400-420g cans butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the garnish:
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon, stretched and cut into short lengths
- 4 fresh sage leaves, optional
- Oil for frying, optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and then add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for 5 mins until it starts to soften, then add the chopped bacon to the pan. Cook for a further 4-5 mins, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Pour 750ml (1¼ pints) water intothe saucepan and crumble in the stock cube and bring to the boil, stirring until the stock cube has dissolved. Add the butterbeans, then bring the mixture to the boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat slightly. Simmer the soup for about 20-30 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat andadd the chopped sage, then purée the soup either using a liquidiser, a food processor or a stick blender, and season the soup to taste. If soup is too thick, add a little extra boiling water.
- For the garnish, fry the rashers of bacon until crisp and cut into pieces. If liked, fry sage leaves in hot oil for a few seconds until they are crisp, then drain.
- Re-warm the soup if necessary and pour it into serving bowls. Scatter bacon on top, and sage leaves, if using.
Top tips for making butterbean and bacon soup
The cold soup can be frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it thoroughly. The garnish is not suitable for freezing.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
This delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too - a delicious winter warmer!
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
The parenting rules Victoria and David Beckham swear by to keep their kids happy and healthy
The A-list couple have four children together
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse Published
Home Bargains is launching bakeries in its stores, and pastries will be as cheap as 55p!
The discount homeware store is launching bakeries in 69 venues across the UK
By Maddy Biddulph Published
Super cheap patio cleaning hack revealed ahead of UK heatwave
Cleaning fans have revealed the basic supermarket product that can keep your patio clean for less this summer
By Emma Dooney Published