Make you own mini quiche with this easy recipe. This caramelised red onion versionuses wholemeal flour for the pastry and sweet red onions for the filling - delicious!
For the pastry:
- 150g wholemeal flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 x 12cm (41⁄2in) flan tins
For the filling:
- 30g butter
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 500g red onions, peeled, sliced
- 1 level tsp caster sugar
- 1 level tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 medium eggs
- 170ml carton double cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Tip the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and add the butter. Whizz until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add 1-2 tbsps water and whizz until mixture just starts to bind together into a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 4 an roll each one out. Use to line the tins. Chill the cases for 30 mins.
- To prepare the filling, melt the butter in a pan and add the oil. Stir in the onion and sprinkle over the sugar. Cook for about 20-30 mins, stirring occasionally until the onion softens and caramelises. Remove pan from the hob and leave the onions to cool slightly.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Divide the onion mixture between the pastry cases. Sprinkle over the thyme and season. Beat the eggs with the cream and mustard and pour into the pastry cases.
- Place the tarts on the hot baking sheet and cook for 35-40 mins, or until the filling is set and a light golden colour. Remove from the oven and slide the tins onto a wire rack. Leave the quiches to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then remove them from the tins.
- Serve the quiches warm or leave them to cool on the wire racks and leave them to go cold and serve at toom temperature.
Top Tip for making Caramelised red onion quiche
These are also delicious with a little grated Gruyere cheese sprinkled over the top before baking.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Learn how to make bite-sized mini quiches with this easy recipe. Our quiches come with a bacon and cheese filling but you can experiment with flavours
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Feta and red pepper quiche
Full of summer flavours and the salty addition of feta cheese, this feta and red pepper quiche is a great picnic slice.
By Jules Mercer • Published
Try our delicious quiche lorraine recipe for a French-style lunch or easy family dinner. It couldn't be easier and is so delicious!
By GoodtoKnow • Published