Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Carrot cake on its own tastes great but even more so with soft and tangy lemon cheese icing - perfect for afternoon tea or a birthday cake with a difference.
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 295g firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 540g coarsely grated carrot
- 110g coarsely chopped walnuts
- 375g self-raising flour
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2tsp mixed spice
For the lemon cream cheese icing:
- 30g butter, softened
- 80g cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 240g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a deep 22cm (9-inch) round cake pan and line the base with baking parchment.
- Beat oil, sugar and eggs in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in the grated carrot, nuts, and then the sifted dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake about 1¼ hours. Remove from the oven and stand the cake in the tin for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon cream cheese icing by beating butter, cream cheese and the lemon rind in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar.
- Spread cake with frosting.
Top Tip for making Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
You will need three large carrots (540g) to make this recipe
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Sumac roasted fennel and carrots recipe
Roasted carrots go well with fennel, which sweetens up as it cooks.
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Mary Berry's chocolate mousse
This chocolate mocha mousse is quick to make, rich in flavour with a light, silky texture. It's one of those treats that's loved by kids and adults alike...
By Mary Berry • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
WhatsApp users warned over free beer scam ahead of Fathers' Day
Mobile phone users are being warned about a WhatsApp free beer scam that's doing the rounds.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Make this Mother's Day one to remember with John Lewis and AirPods
By Emily Stedman • Published