Just a few simple ingredients combine to make this tasty celery soup recipe. It’s full of flavour but not too calorific so perfect for a slim line lunch or light starter.
This celery soup recipe serves 4 people and will around 50 mins prepare and cook. It's great for making in bulk as it can stored in the fridge for up to 3 days meaning you could have it a few days in a row for lunch or as a light dinner or starter.
A healthy (opens in new tab) option, celery is full of vitamin C and is brimming with antioxidants. Just one stalk contains less than six calories, so this soup is a good low calorie meals (opens in new tab) choice.
Choose a firm, plump head of celery and wash thoroughly, trimming off any stringy bits from the thick outer stalks before chopping.
For extra flavour add a bouquet of garnish to the simmering soup. To make your own bouquet of garnish, take a fresh bay leaf and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley and tie together with fine string.
Love a wholesome homemade soup? We've got loads more delicious soup recipes here.
- 15g butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 head celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Snipped fresh chives and shredded celery, to garnish
- Heat the butter and oil in a large deep pan. Add the onion, potato and celery and cook gently for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 15-20 mins until the vegetables are completely soft.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 mins then puree the soup with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Heat the pureed soup through gently and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve in warmed bowls garnished with snipped chives and shredded celery.
Top Tip for making Celery soup
For a creamier soup stir 100ml double cream or crème fraiche into the pureed soup and heat through gently.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
McDonald's potato waffles are coming to the UK as legendary burger is scrapped
We're so ready for McDonald's potato waffles
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
King Charles shares his ultimate hack for getting 'perfect' roast potatoes
King Charles shared his special trick for the ultimate roast potatoes
By Naomi Jamieson • Published