Cheese and poppy seed straws are a great all year round party nibble or the perfect low cost snack for kids.
These cheese and poppy seed straws are popular appetisers made from rolled out buttery puff pastry, scattered with different types of hard cheeses, then twisted and baked until golden and crisp.
They make the perfect party canapé as they could not be easier to make and can be adapted to use different cheeses and spices. A really handy recipe for any holiday period as no one can resist a cheese straw! Another bonus is they are so simple to make you can get the kids to help you bake them.
- 100g parmesan
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 500g puff pastry
- 1 large free range egg white
- 4tbsp poppy seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Grease two large baking sheets. Grate the parmesan into a bowl and toss with the paprika.
- Lightly dust a surface with the flour and sprinkle over the cheese. Roll out the puff over the cheese to a rectangle roughly 25cm x 30cm. Trim the sides and cut into 2cm wide lengths. Brush one edge with the egg white then dip into the poppy seeds pressing lightly so they stick.
- Transfer each slice onto a baking sheet twisting each the opposite directions. Leave space between each twist and chill for 30 mins in the fridge until firm.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until golden and puffed. Leave to col on their trays.
Top Tip for making Cheese and poppy seed straws
Try brushing with chilli jam for a spicy glaze or rolling in cracked black pepper instead of poppy seeds.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gluten-free smoked salmon tartlets
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce, spinach and pancetta make a veg-packed dinner for the whole family. This easy recipe takes only 35 mins to make
By Jessica Dady • Published
Slimming World's deluxe macaroni cheese
By Slimming World • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Why is there an egg shortage in the UK? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why is there an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the ongoing issue.
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
M&S Food's Easter eggs have arrived and customers are not happy
Chocolate Easter eggs have already been spotted at Marks and Spencer's supermarkets
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published