This pasta dish is a creamy, filling vegetarian favourite – and it’s ridiculously easy to make. Tuck in!
- 400g (14oz) rigatoni pasta
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 425ml (¾ pt) milk
- 50ml (2fl oz) double cream
- 100g (4oz) grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1tbsp thyme, leaves removed
- 50g (5oz) Taleggio (cheese), cut into pieces
- 75g (3oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g (2oz) breadcrumbs
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Cook the pasta until just al dente (firm to the bite). While it’s cooking, put the butter and flour into a saucepan and mix until it looks like wet sand. Gradually add the milk, stirring all the time until thickened. Season well and add in the cream, grated Parmesan (reserving 1tbsp for the topping) and mustard.
Drain the pasta and mix with the white sauce, thyme leaves, Taleggio and tomatoes in an ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and the reserved Parmesan, then bake for 20 mins until golden.
Top tip for making Cheese and tomato pasta bake
Love meat? You can easily convert this recipe by adding sausage or ham.