Our cherry bakewell traybake recipe takes under an hour to make and is under 350 calories per portion.
This cherry bakewell traybake is simple to make and easy to transport as it has a sturdy texture. The recipe makes 12 fingers but we highly recommend making a double batch as they are sure to be popular. This recipe uses ground almonds, polenta, lemon zest and cherry conserve.
- 320g roll shortcrust pastry, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 60g ground almonds
- 60g fine polenta
- 200g cherry conserve
- 15g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, optional
You will need:
- Tray 25x20cm, greased
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Unravel the pastry and use a rolling pin to make it large enough to cover the base and sides of the tray. Line the tray, trim off any overhang. Prick the base with a fork and blind bake for 12 mins. Remove the baking beans and seal any cracks using the pastry offcuts. Brush the base with a little of the beaten egg and return to the oven for 2 mins. Remove the tray and reduce the oven temperature to 180C/Gas 4.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Cream the butter and sugar with the lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the polenta, ground almonds and a pinch of sea salt. Add the remaining egg and beat until smooth.
- Spread the conserve over the pastry base and spread over the almond mixture. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top and bake for 15-20 mins until golden and set. Cool in the tin before cutting into 12 bars.
Top tips for making cherry bakewell traybake:
- Using a mixture of ground almonds and polenta give this bake a great light texture but if you prefer, just use almonds
- You could drizzle a little icing over the top if you like but it can become sticky when transporting
You might also like...
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Rose Fooks is Deputy Food Editor at Future Publishing, creating recipes, reviewing products and writing food features for a range of lifestyle and home titles including GoodTo and Woman&Home. Before joining the team, Rose obtained a Diplome de Patisserie and Culinary Management at London’s Le Cordon Bleu. Going on to work in professional kitchens at The Delaunay and Zedel.
Cherry bakewell traybake
By Rose Fooks Published
Jamie Oliver's 5 ingredient harissa chicken traybake
As seen on Jamie Oliver's Channel 4 television cooking show, Jamie's Quick and Easy Food.
By Jamie Oliver Last updated
Gordon Ramsay's mushroom polenta
Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay's mushroom polenta from the F Word TV show. Try Gordon Ramsay's Italian version of mushroom on toast. A great recipe for lunch, or a dinner-party starter
By Gordon Ramsay Published