Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This quick family meal is so easy. Mix rice with chicken, prawns, veg and Cajun seasoning for a super-tasty dinner!
- 225g long grain rice or brown rice
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g stir-fry chicken strips or chunks
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2tsp Cajun seasoning, according to taste
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 150g pot of spicy pepperoni and tomato stir-in sauce
- 200g cooked peeled prawns, defrosted if frozen
- Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water until tender, for about 12 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and sauté the chicken for about 3-4 mins, until browned. Add the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, for about 3 mins, until softened.
- Add the Cajun seasoning and thyme. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 mins.
- Drain the rice thoroughly, then add it to the frying pan with the stir-in sauce, stirring well to combine. Add the prawns and cook for another 2-3 mins, until thoroughly heated, then serve.
- Cool any leftovers quickly and keep covered and refrigerated. Use the next day - either thoroughly re-heated, or eaten cold for a packed lunch.
Top Tip for making Chicken and prawn jambalaya
If you can't find Cajun seasoning, use 1tsp of chilli powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper, or add according to taste.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World's chilli and cauliflower rice recipe
This Slimming World chilli and cauliflower rice is easy to make, but healthy and satisfying to eat - the perfect mid-week supper that will please the whole family!
By Slimming World • Published
A great British favourite, this Indian tandoori chicken is very tasty and spicy and easy to cook. Serve it up with a yogurt dip and your favourite kind of naan bread.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
The Revlon Blow Dry Brush the internet lost its mind over is so cheap for Amazon Prime Day
The best-selling Revlon Blow Dry Brush that went viral online has been price slashed
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Mum shares insanely easy and cheap hack to clean the pesky dust behind your radiators
By Selina Maycock • Published
Why did EasyJet cancel flights? All you need to know about the airport disruptions
Holidaymakers have been warned over NINE days of planned strikes expected to cause chaos this summer
By Selina Maycock • Last updated