Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
You don't need many ingredients to make this tasty chicken and rice casserole. Plus it's cheap, quick and dead easy! This delicious hotpot is so easy to make at home.
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 chicken drumsticks or thighs (or two of each)
- 175g (6oz) long-grain rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry it gently for 3 mins, then add the chicken drumsticks or thighs, and fry them until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Stir in the chicken stock, carrots, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture gently for 35-40 mins, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with a mixed salad, if liked. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Chicken and rice hotpot
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says they used a pack of 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 thighs and doubled the ingredients. The chicken was only £3.35 for all of it, so it's an economical meal