This easy chicken tikka masala recipe has got to be one of our favourite curry recipes. Chicken breast is cooked with ready made tikka masala paste and thickened with single cream and it's ready in just 35 mins. This simple recipe serves 4 people and is the perfect family choice on a Friday evening when you're looking for a healthier alternative to your usual takeaway. You can make this curry recipe cheaper to make too if you're watching the pennies by swapping chicken breast for chicken thighs instead, which are much cheaper to buy. This curry can be frozen as long as you use fresh chicken and not chicken that has been previously frozen. Make sure you defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight or during the day and reheat until piping hot to serve. Serve with rice and naan bread. A portion of this classic chicken tikka masala recipe works out at only 350 calories per serving.
- 2 tbs groundnut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 500g (1lb) chicken breast escalopes, each cut into 4
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 tbs tikka masala paste (we used Patak’s)
- 500g carton passata
- 170ml carton single cream
- ¼ cucumber, cut into fine sticks
- 5 radishes, cut into fine sticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fine sticks
- 1 teaspoon malt vinegar
- Boiled basmati rice (see tip)
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook gently for 5 mins to soften it.
- Add chicken, season and cook gently for 5 mins, turning meat as needed, until browned.
- Add the tikka masala paste, stir for 1 min, then add the passata and warm through.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix the cucumber, radish and carrot with vinegar. Serve alongside the curry and rice.
Top Tip for making Chicken tikka masala
For perfect rice: Measure rice in a jug up to the 200ml (7fl oz) mark. Tip into a pan, add 400ml (14fl oz) boiling water and salt. Cover with atight-fitting lid. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.Turn off heat, leave for 5 minutes, covered, then serve.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken curry
Chicken curry has to be one of our favourite recipes. You'll never look back once you've tried The Hairy Bikers' chicken curry recipe - it's so easy
By Hairy Bikers Published