This easy Florentines recipe is made with cherries, honey and almonds for an afternoon treat. These nutty little treats are perfect for an afternoon tea spread, a snack with a cup of coffee or a food gift for loved ones. They'll keep for some time stored in an airtight container or wrapped in a cellophane bag. This recipe gives each Florentine a crisp, rich dark chocolate coating which works wonders with the sticky sweetness of the fruit and nuts. It will take around 20 mins to make 16 delicious chocolate, almond and cherry Florentines, plus cooling time.
- 55g (2oz) butter
- 55g (2oz) demerara sugar
- 2tsp clear honey
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 4 glacé cherries, finely chopped
- 55g (2oz) mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 55g (2oz) flaked almonds, chopped
- 175g (6oz) good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4) and line three baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Tip the butter, sugar and honey into a small pan and heat gently until the butter has melted. Remove from the heat and add the flour, cherries, candied peel and almonds to the pan, stirring well.
- Spoon teaspoons of the mixture on to the prepared baking trays, leaving plenty of room between each for them to spread. Bake in the oven for 6-8 mins or until golden brown. Allow the florentines to cool on the baking paper for a minute or so before lifting on to a cooling rack with a palette knife.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of hot water. Spread a little melted chocolate over the flat base of each florentine, mark a zigzag in the chocolate with a fork and leave to set, chocolate side up, on the rack.
Top Tip for making Florentines
These florentines make a great present for a friend with a sweet tooth. Just pack them in a pretty box between sheets of greaseproof paper - and tie with a ribbon.