Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Chocolate cake with sour cream is a real sweet sensation and less than 400 cals per slice.
Free from refined sugars but not lacking in flavour, our chocolate cake with sour cream is a light and fluffy bake that’s perfect for any self-confessed chocoholic. The sour cream frosting helps balance out the natural sweetness, which comes from the maple syrup and milk. This cake recipe uses a combination of plain and rye flour, which not only boosts the flavour but it also improves the texture. We recommend scoffing a slice of chocolate cake with sour cream with your next cup of tea.
- 100g plain flour
- 100g rye flour
- 1 ¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ¼tsp baking powder
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 185g maple syrup
- 180g milk
- 75g coconut oil, melted
for the sour cream frosting:
- 300g no added sugar dark chocolate (we like chocologic, available in Tesco)
- 300g sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- sea salt flakes, to garnish
You will need:
- 3x 6 inch round cake tins, greased and lined with parchment
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3. Sift the flours, cocoa powder, bicarb and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- In a large jug, whist together the eggs, maple syrup, milk and coconut oil until all combined. Slowly pour and whisk this in to the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the mix into the 3 cake tin and bake for 25 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Leave to cook in the tins for 10 mins before turning out and left to cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolate in the microwave, or in a bain-marie and whisk in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth and glossy.
- To assemble, place one layer of the sponge on a serving plate or cake stand, add ¼ of the frosting and smooth to the edges with a palette knife, repeat for the second layer and top with the final sponge. Using the remaining frosting coat the top and the sides of the cake. To finish sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt flakes.
Top tip for making this chocolate cake with sour cream:
Warm the sour cream slightly so the frosting doesn’t set too quickly.