This is a very simple gratin dish. Serve it hot with fish, meats and poultry or on its own as a delicious, light lunch dish. Courgettes, tomatoes, Cheddar and mozzarella complement one another perfectly. Serve with garlic bread or crusty bread to mop up the juices. A good vegetarian dish too. This dish could also be served as a simple starter
- 2 large courgettes, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 125g Mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Preheat oven to 190⁰C/375⁰F/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5. Sprinkle the courgettes with salt and leave for 10 minutes. This will draw out some of the moisture. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Put the courgettes in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Toss the courgettes in the oil so that the slices are evenly coated.
- Arrange the courgettes and tomatoes in an ovenproof dish, sprinkling on the oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the oven and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese on top of the courgette and tomato slices and add the Mozzarella. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil.
- Return the dish to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Courgette, tomato and mozzarella gratin
This dish makes a great vegetable accompaniment to a main meal – if you are serving it with a roast meal you may prefer to omit the Cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Tomato shortage 2023: Why are supermarkets running out of tomatoes in the UK?
As shoppers moan a lack of tomatoes in supermarkets, we've explained the reasons behind the tomato shortage affecting the UK in 2023.
By Emily Stedman • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published