These spicy crab cakes make the perfect starter to a special meal or serve with boiled egg noodles and stir-fried veg for a tasty supper dish. You can prepare the cakes a few hours in advance and keep them covered in the fridge then fry just before serving. If fresh crab meat is unavailable use 3 x 170g cans white crab meat and drain thoroughly on kitchen paper.
- 450g white crab meat
- 2tsp Thai red curry paste
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 2sp lemon zest
- 1tsp cornflour
- 2tbsp beaten egg white
- 2tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Salad and lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the crab meat in a bowl and flake with a fork. Add the curry paste, soy sauce, lemon zest, cornflour, egg white and basil and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and using lightly wetted hands, divide and shape the mixture into 8 small patties.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan until a cube of bread dropped in the hot fat browns in 30 secs. Fry the crabcakes in two batches for 4-5 mins, turning once, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with salad and lemon wedges.
Top Tip for making Crab cake
Add some freshly grated root ginger and a pinch of five spice powder to the mixture to give the crab cakes a more Oriental flavour.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
Who is the crab feeder in House of The Dragon, and who is the actor playing him?
House of The Dragon introduced a new character in episode 2 and we uncover exactly who is the crab feeder and who is the actor playing him?
By Lucy Wigley • Last updated