Triple tested: This herby chicken is crisp on the outside, succulent and juicy in the centre – mmm! Brought to you by Essentials magazine
Value range buys
- 125g butter, softened
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 plump, skinless chicken breasts
- 4tbsp plain flour
- 200g breadcrumbs, from sliced loaf
You'll also need
- 1tbsp dried parsley
- 1⁄2tsp paprika
- 1tbsp dried thyme
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200ml vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Heat oven to Mark 6/200°C.
- Mix together the butter with the garlic and parsley, season with salt, wrap in clingfilm and roll up tightly to make a long, thin sausage. Chill in the fridge.
- With a sharp knife, make an incision in the plump side of each chicken breast, to a make a pocket. Slice the butter into 6 pieces and stuff into the pockets. Toss the chicken in the flour.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and paprika with the thyme and season well. Dip each chicken breast first into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs until well coated. Secure each with a cocktail stick to keep the butter in as much as possible.
- Heat the oil until hot - it’s ready when a piece of bread turns golden after 30 secs. Fry the chicken in 2 batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden, then transfer to a shallow roasting tin. Bake for 15-20 mins until cooked through. Remove cocktail sticks and drizzle with any escaped butter to serve.
Top Tip for making Crunchy garlic and herb chicken parcels
To prep in advance, follow up to step 4 the day before. Remove from the fridge for 30 mins, then complete the recipe from step 5.