Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Crushed pea and bean toasts make the perfect party food or starter for a fancy meal. They're really quick to make and taste delicious too infused with mint leaves, chilli flakes and grated pecorino or Parmesan. It's a light and healthy option.
- 200g broad beans, podded
- 200g garden peas
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp good olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 4 tbsp grated pecorino or Parmesan
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped mint leaves
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- 6 slices crusty bread (sourdough is good)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Add the beans to boiling salted water, bring back to the boil and cook for 2 mins. Add the peas and cook for 2 mins more. Drain and refresh them under cold running water. Take the skins off the beans. Add lemon juice and 4 tablespoons oil to the veg and mash roughly, with a fork or stick blender.
- Stir in the lemon zest, half the cheese, mint and chilli. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread, then rub each slice gently with the garlic, to give flavour. Drizzle with more oil, if you like. Spoon the bean and pea mixture on top. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and more oil.
Top Tip for making Crushed pea and bean toasts
You can add 2 tbsp toasted almonds or pumpkin seeds. It also tastes good served with yogurt dressing flavoured with garlic and lemon.