If you’re on a dairy-free diet there’s no need to miss out on classic dishes such as quiche. This dairy-free Provencal quiche is packed with delicious vegetables mixed with eggs and oat or soya milk instead of cow’s milk, just check the packaging to make sure the milk you use is unsweetened. If you use a bought pastry, check that it is also dairy-free (Jus-Rol shortcrust pastry is) or you can make your own using a non-dairy spread or white vegetable fat. The quantity of pastry you’ll need, if you make your own, will be 200g plain flour, 100g spread and 1-2tbsp cold water to mix to a dough.
- 320g sheet ready-rolled dairy-free shortcrust pastry such as Jus-Rol
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small courgette, chopped
- 75g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 eggs
- 150ml oat or soya milk (unsweetened)
- 50g dairy-free alternative to cheese, grated
- 6 asparagus spears, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Unroll the sheet of pastry and use to line a 23cm tart tin (you may need to roll the pastry out slightly to make it wide enough to fit the tin). Trim off any excess pastry. Line the pastry with a sheet of baking paper and fill with baking beans or uncooked rice. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 mins. Remove the paper and beans or rice and cook for a further 5 mins.
- While the pastry is cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the red pepper, courgette and mushrooms and fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and cherry tomatoes and cook for 1 min.
- Beat together the eggs and oat or soya milk and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Tip the vegetables into the cooked pastry case and spread evenly. Sprinkle over the grated cheese cheese substitute and pour over the egg mixture. Arrange the asparagus on the top and bake for 25-30 mins until the filling is golden and just set. Serve warm or cold.
Top Tip for making Dairy-free Provencal quiche
When asparagus is not in season or too expensive, replace it with a handful of black olives. Scatter them over the tart before baking.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Learn how to make bite-sized mini quiches with this easy recipe. Our quiches come with a bacon and cheese filling but you can experiment with flavours
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Feta and red pepper quiche
Full of summer flavours and the salty addition of feta cheese, this feta and red pepper quiche is a great picnic slice.
By Jules Mercer • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Are Mini Eggs being discontinued?
With rumours that Cadbury's Mini Eggs are being discontinued, we've looked into the matter and explained what is really going on.
By Emily Stedman • Published
Why is there an egg shortage in the UK? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why there is an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the ongoing issue.
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
Chocolate fans 'devastated' as Cadbury removes Easter egg favourite from supermarkets
Cadbury are axing a delicious Easter treat
By Emma Dooney • Published