Borscht, a rich beetroot soup, is an Eastern European favourite. Whip up a batch yourself with this easy recipe - it's just delicious with homemade goat's cheese tartlets
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 med potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) raw beetroot, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 900ml (1½ pints) hot home-made chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- A few sprigs of dill
For the tartlets
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 130-150g log of goat’s cheese, with rind on
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Put the oil and butter in a large pan over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot, potato and garlic, and cook for about 15 mins until softened.
- Add the beetroot and sugar and cook for 3-4 mins. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for an hour.
- Whizz in a food processor, then push the purée through a sieve. Reheat and add more stock or water to thin it, if you like. Ladle into warm bowls and serve with a swirl of crème fraîche and dill fronds on top. To make the tartlets: Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Unroll the pastry. Cut out 12 x 6.5cm (2¾in) rounds. Mark a thin border around each one using a 5cm (2in) cutter. Put them on a Teflon-lined baking sheet, prick the middles a few times with a fork. Bake for 10 mins above the centre of the oven. Cut the goat’s cheese into 12 slices. Push down the centres of the tartlets and press a slice of cheese inside each one. Add thyme sprigs and season. Bake for 10 mins more.
Top Tip for making Easy Borscht with goat's cheese tartlets
There will be some pastry left over, so make a few jam tarts!
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
If you grow your own, this pickled beetroot is a great way to make your beetroot harvest last longer, so you can get that sweet beetroot flavour all year round.
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published