Fancy a little romance this weekend? This impressive dish is the perfect romantic meal for two and is ready in just 30 mins - which gives you plenty of time to spend together
- 2 duck breasts
- 4 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 punnet blackberries
- 1 glass red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 shot glass of port wine (optional)
- 400ml beef stock
- 50g butter
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1tsp cornflour, dissolved into a little hot water
- Finely slice the shallots and garlic, add to a saucepan with a knob of butter and gently sweat off until softened. Add the thyme and the sugar, allow the sugar to cook and caramelise for 1 minute. Pour in the red wine and the port and reduce down by ¾ .
- Now add 2/3 of the punnet of blackberries, bay leaf and beef stock, gently reduce this down by 2/3. Pour through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan, season with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining blackberries in half and add them to the sauce. Finish with a knob of butter and thicken, if desired, with the cornflour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 6. Heat a dry frying pan and place the duck breast fat side down into the pan over a moderate heat and fry for a couple of minutes. Turn the breasts over and season the fat with a little salt, place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst cooking, prepare your vegetables and finish off your mash. Remove the duck breasts from the oven; allow them to rest for at least two-three minutes. Slice the duck breast, serve with the vegetables and drizzle over the rich smooth blackberry sauce.
Top Tip for making Ed Baines' duck breast with blackberry sauce
Duck goes well with various different fruit sauces - why not try this recipe with a pear or cherry sauce?
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Roasted orange duck and roasted potatoes
This delicious roasted orange duck duck recipe uses sharp juniper berries, zesty orange juice and runny honey to create a really rich body of flavours
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Soufflé omelette with apples and blackberries
Mouth-watering food at its best! This so soufflé is the perfect pudding, everybody will like it - AND it's got fruit on it so it's healthy too! Head to goodtoknow.co.uk for more recipes
By Jessica Dady • Published
Looking for new ideas for lower-fat family dinners? This maple-glazed duck recipe is full of flavour and makes a change from your usual meals
By Sue McMahon • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Mrs Hinch leaves the internet in shock with very bizarre dinner recipe
By Hayley Minn • Published