Make a traditional Italian pizza, topped with crème fraîche, cheese and salami, with this recipe from Two Greedy Italians' star Gennaro Contaldo
- 500g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
- 320ml lukewarm water
- A few dried breadcrumbs or a bit of semolina, for dusting
For the topping
- 80g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 250g crème fraîche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 140g salami, cut into strips
- a few marjoram leaves
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/Gas 9. Combine the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Gradually add the water, mixing well with your hands to obtain a dough. If you find the dough too sticky, simply add a little more flour. Shape into a ball, cover with a cloth and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes and split it in half. Sprinkle some flour on a clean kitchen cloth and place the pieces of dough on it. Cover with a slightly damp cloth and leave to rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile combine the Gruyère and crème fraîche in a bowl, adding some salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean work surface and spread the dough into a circle about 30cm in diameter, making it as thin as possible (without tearing it), with the border slightly thicker. Repeat with the other dough ball. Sprinkle two flat baking trays with breadcrumbs or semolina and place the pizza bases on them.
- Spread the crème fraîche mixture over each base. Top with the onions and salami. Bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes. Remove, sprinkle with the marjoram and serve.
Top Tip for making Gennaro Contaldo's alpine pizza
Gennaro says: 'Although Gruyère is not an Italian cheese, it goes really well with this ‘pizza of the mountains’, and is readily available to buy. Be warned, this is a very filling pizza, but it’s also very delicious!'
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Weight Watchers florentine pizza recipe
This Weight Watchers Florentine pizza is delicious! Don't miss out on a tasty pizza treat and opt instead for this healthy version - a classic favourite to have without ruining your diet.
By WW (Weight Watchers) • Published
Spooky Halloween pizza
This spooky Halloween pizza is so cute, with scary ghosts and big black spiders crawling across it. Made using shop bought pizzas bases, it's quick and easy to make.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Pissaladière is a French variation on the classic Italian pizza. We've topped ours with with onions, olives and anchovies - delicious!
By Jules Mercer • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
Pizza oven Black Friday deal: Save £30 on this Salter Professional outdoor portable pizza oven - slices ready in 60 seconds
This pizza oven will help you create the perfect 'fake-away' dinner at home over the festive season
By Selina Maycock • Published