This recipe uses ricotta and cooked ham for an authentic Italian flavour. This recipe is great for kids and makes a perfect family meal.
- 4 large slice of chicken breast, approx. 100g/3½oz of each
- 100g/3½oz ricotta
- A few marjoram leaves, finely chopped
- 4 slices of cooked ham, slightly smaller than the chicken slices
- Plain flour for dusting
- 30g/1oz butter
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200ml/7fl hot chicken stock
- Salt (optional)
- Put the chicken slices between 2 sheets of cling film and pound with a meat mallet to get them really thin.
- Combine the ricotta, marjoram and some salt, if using.
- Arrange the slices of chicken on a work surface and top with the ham, ensuring there is a border around the edge.
- Place a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the middle of each one. Fold the slices in half, pressing down on the edges gently, making sure the filling does not escape. Dust with flour.
- Put the butter and olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, add the chicken pieces and seal on both sides.
- Reduce the heat, add the stock and simmer gently for about 5 misn until the chicken has cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and serve with a little of the cooking juices, if desired.
Top Tip for making Gennaro Contaldo's stuffed chicken breasts
There are many ready-made varieties of stuffed chicken breast in the shops, but most are low quality - making this recipe from scratch is far healthier and tastier.