Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
These gluten-free crumpets are delicious served warm with butter...
Our gluten free crumpets are nice and fluffy and best served warm with lashings of butter. If you've got a sweet tooth you might like to opt for honey or maple syrup on your gluten free crumpets instead... This gluten free crumpet recipe makes 20 but you can easily scale the recipe up if you've got lots of people to feed.
- 400ml full-fat milk
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1tsp xanthan gum
- 200g gluten free plain flour
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- juice of ½ a lemon
- butter, for cooking
- Maple syrup, to serve
You will need:
- crumpet rings approx. 10cm diamter
- Warm the milk so it’s warm to touch, mix in the yeast and leave for 5mins.
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, salt, xanthan gum and flours, then mix in the milk mixture and 100ml of water until you have a smooth paste. Cover the bowl in cling film and leave in a warm place for 2hr 30mins, the batter will have risen and begun to fall.
- Mix the Bicarbonate of soda with 150ml water and fold into the mixture, then fold in the lemon juice and leave to rest for a further 20mins.
- With butter grease the edges of the crumpet rings and place in a non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat, put a pea sized piece of butter into each ring and once melted spoon in 3tbsp of mix, cook until the crumpet begins to come away from the edge of the ring, about 5mins, remove the rings carefully as they will be hot, flip each crumpet and cook for a further 1 min then place on a cooling rack.
- Before eating warm through in a toaster. Serve well buttered with honey or maple syrup.
Top Tip for making Gluten free crumpets
Pop the crumpets into the toaster for a minute or two to heat them back through if you're making them in big batches.