This ultimate comfort food is quick to make, and tastes indulgently creamy without any cream.
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 leaves fresh sage, whole
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 3 strips pancetta or streaky bacon, chopped
- 150g canned pumpkin puree
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk or unsweetened soya milk
- 40g freshly grated hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino Romano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 400g packet gnocchi di patate
- Put water on to boil for the gnocchi according to packet instructions
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat, then add sage and garlic and sauté for one minute. Add bacon or pancetta, increase heat to medium, and fry until just crisp. Add pumpkin puree, stirring constantly until pumpkin is heated through.
- Slowly add milk while stirring pumpkin mixture constantly. Simmer on low heat for five minutes.
- Once water is boiling, add gnocchi and cook according to packet instructions.
- Add grated cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce and stir. Add more milk if sauce is too thick. Remove garlic and sage from sauce and discard. Toss sauce with gnocchi, and serve with more grated cheese and fresh sage leaves for garnish, if desired.
Top Tip for making Gnocchi with pumpkin and pancetta sauce
You can make your own pumpkin puree by baking your pumpkin in the oven and then blending it into a puree
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gnocchi recipe with sage and lemon
Our gnocchi recipe with sage and lemon is a simple but delicious vegetarian main, perfect for dinner parties. Only a few ingredients are needed for it too.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Gordon Ramsay's honey glazed ham
Gordon Ramsay's honey glazed ham recipe is a great staple as it can be served hot or cold. Whether served as a Christmas ham or Sunday lunch it's delicious
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Baked sausage and fennel gnocchi gratin
Baked sausage and fennel gnocchi gratin is ready in 30 mins, which makes in the perfect midweek dinner choice. At 83p per serving, it's a winner
By Jessica Dady • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
When does autumn start? First day of autumn 2022
If you're wondering when does autumn start in the UK, we reveal the official date and month that marks the end of summer and the beginning of autumn
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published