Our gnocchi recipe with sage and lemon is a simple but delicious vegetarian main course. It only requires a few ingredients but the end result is fresh, tasty and impressive - perfect for dinner parties. It takes minimal prep and hardly any cooking time so couldn't be easier for a busy host. Gnocchi are little Italian dumplings often made from semolina, flour, egg, potato, and sometimes ricotta. The dumplings are served in a similar way to pasta, either boiled in water, or pan fried in butter, then served with a sauce. Gnocchi are a popular meal as they are so quick and easy to cook. A gnocchi recipe can differ in texture and flavour depending on the potatoes it is made from, just as different types of potato have distinct flavours and textures. You can make your own gnocchi if you like, but many good options are available in supermarkets and Italian delis. Our gnocchi recipe with sage and lemon allows these light and tender dumplings to be the stars of the show, with the zest of lemon and slight heat of chilli making every bite leave you wanting more.
- 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Small bunch of sage leaves, torn
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 750g gnocchi
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Add the oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, sage leaves and chilli flakes to a large frying pan. Heat very gently for 5 mins, until the garlic is soft.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and cook for just 2 mins, or until they have all risen to the surface of the water. Drain quickly and add to the frying pan, then cook for 1 min more, stirring to coat well.