An unusual and tasty little starter, the mushrooms are scrumptious with the melted cheese topping. Gouda cheese, mushrooms and garlic go so well together and whilst this makes a good starter it would be very easy to increase the ingredients to make a larger quantity for a lunch or supper dish. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 350g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 175g Gouda cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry gently until softened but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry lightly for 2 minutes until tender.
- Add the wine and continue to cook until the juices have evaporated – this will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into 4 small ovenproof dishes and sprinkle the cheese on top of each.
- Put under a hot grill until the cheese has melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Gouda garlic mushrooms
This is a delicious side dish to serve with meats of all kinds. For something a little special try using some of the more unusual varieties of mushrooms now available in the supermarkets.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce
Mini roasted cauliflowers with tomato sauce, spinach and pancetta make a veg-packed dinner for the whole family. This easy recipe takes only 35 mins to make
By Jessica Dady Published
Vegan Mushroom Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Serve up an authentic taste of Mexico this summer with our vegan mushroom tacos. Go the extra mile by making your very own corn tortillas, you won’t regret it!
By Keiron George Published
Creme Egg cupcakes
By Victoria Threader Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Top 10 positive traits children learn from their parents - and #5 is no easy task
Have you passed any of these on to your kids?
By Ellie Hutchings Published
Home Bargains is launching bakeries in its stores, and pastries will be as cheap as 55p!
The discount homeware store is launching bakeries in 69 venues across the UK
By Maddy Biddulph Published