Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Rich, red and ritzy, the three different paprikas add a smoky, sweet and spicy tang.
- 1 fat chicken
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Large knob of butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp sweet paprika
- 1tbsp hot paprika
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1tbsp flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 red pepper, seeded and cut into 1cm strips
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes (or 6 tinned will do)
- 250ml sour cream or smetana
- Joint the chicken (or get your butcher to do it). Rub the meat with salt, then brown in the oil and butter and set aside.
- In the same pan, sweat the onions and garlic for about 5 mins. Add the paprika, then the flour, and stir till blended. Don't burn it!
- Add most of the stock and stir for 5 mins to make the thick gravy base then add the chicken pieces. Add the rest of the stock (and then some boiling water) if it looks a bit dry.
- Mix in half the parsley and bring to the boil then add the red pepper. Simmer for 10 mins, add the tomatoes then cook over a low heat for about an hour. When the chicken is cooked, add the sour cream and the remaining parsley. Adjust the seasoning to taste.