Paneer (Indian cheese) combines really well with palak (spinach) in this flavoursome veggie dish. Great with rice.
For the sauce:
- 2tbsp ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 whole green chilli
- 1tsp salt
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- 500g fresh spinach, washed
To coat the paneer:
- 2tsp garam masala
- 50g semolina
- 200g paneer, cut into Oxo-sized cubes
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Small handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1tsp lemon juice
- In a saucepan, heat the ghee, then add the onion and cook for about 3 mins until soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, the whole chilli and the salt. Cook and stir for a minute to infuse all the spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the garam masala and semolina. In the bowl, place the cubes of paneer and coat.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan and fry the paneer until crisp and golden.
- Back to the tomato and spice mixture in the saucepan, add the spinach and 2tbsp of water and stir in, cooking until the spinach has wilted. Fold in your crunchy paneer and sprinkle over the coriander and lemon juice.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Simon King and David Myers are the fantastic duo that make up the Hairy Bikers and are best known as Si and Dave. The Hairy Bikers have several cookbooks published including How to Love Food and Lose Weight and Eat for Life. Hairy Biker recipes are always triple tested and try to be as fuss-free as possible so you can trust the timings. Si and Dave have also had several hit cooking shows as they remain as one of the UK’s favourite cookery duos.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Beef tikka masala
This beef tikka masala recipe comes from a 1930s issue of Women's Weekly - and it's still a favourite. It's been updated slightly to reflect the ingredients that are available in supermarkets today.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble
The Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble serves six and takes 40 minutes to cook
By Hairy Bikers Last updated
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published