Paneer (Indian cheese) combines really well with palak (spinach) in this flavoursome veggie dish. Great with rice.
- For the sauce:
- 2tbsp ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 whole green chilli
- 1tsp salt
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- 500g fresh spinach, washed
- To coat the paneer:
- 2tsp garam masala
- 50g semolina
- 200g paneer, cut into Oxo-sized cubes
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Small handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1tsp lemon juice
In a saucepan, heat the ghee, then add the onion and cook for about 3 mins until soft.
Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, the whole chilli and the salt. Cook and stir for a minute to infuse all the spices.
Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the garam masala and semolina. In the bowl, place the cubes of paneer and coat.
Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan and fry the paneer until crisp and golden.
Back to the tomato and spice mixture in the saucepan, add the spinach and 2tbsp of water and stir in, cooking until the spinach has wilted. Fold in your crunchy paneer and sprinkle over the coriander and lemon juice.