Kebabs don’t have to be unhealthy. This healthy kebab recipe, which uses chunky pieces of oil-rich fish: tuna, salmon and mackerel, is flavoured with zest and zingy lime. Fish fans will love the combination of different catches and the clear honey adds a subtle but sweet taste. It’s ideal for flash-cooking on a barbecue for a truly mouthwatering and lush fish supper. Marinate the fish for 2 hours for a real flavoursome taste to impress BBQ guests.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 4 limes
- A small bunch fresh thyme
- 200g piece thick salmon fillet
- 200g piece tuna steak
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 4 large chestnut mushrooms, wiped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the oil, garlic and honey together. Extract the juice from one of the limes and finely chop a few sprigs thyme. Mix into the oil and set aside. Cut 2 more limes in half.
- Wash and pat dry the fish. Cut the salmon and tuna into 4 chunky pieces and place in a shallow dish. Cut the mackerel fillets in half widthwise and add to the dish along with the mushrooms. Season well and pour over the oil and lime marinade. Cover and chill for 2 hrs.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the grill to a medium/hot setting. Drain the fish pieces, reserving the marinade, and loosely thread a piece of each fish, threading the mackerel in half as you thread it, along with a mushroom and a lime half on to 4 skewers.
- Put on the grill rack and cook for 7-8 mins, basting with the marinade, turning, until browned all over and cooked through.
- To serve, drain the skewers and serve immediately with the remaining lime cut into wedges and more fresh thyme, accompanied with salad vegetables.
Top Tip for making Herb and lime mixed fish skewers
If you prefer use just one type of fish for this recipe. Try to keep the pieces the same size so that everything cooks evenly, and don’t cram the fish on to the skewers in order to allow the heat to get right round each piece.