A tasty fish recipe from food writer Jo Pratt. The marinated cod is served with wok-fried broccoli and shiitake mushroom noodles.
For the cod and marinade:
- 75ml mirin (a low-alcohol, very sweet rice wine)
- 75ml rice wine or dry sherry
- 100g white miso paste
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 thick cod fillets
For the wok
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g broccoli
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 sheets of medium egg noodles, cooked
- 2 medium pak choi, finely sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small bunch of coriander
- First, make the marinade and leave it to cool. Place the mirin and rice wine in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir in the miso paste and caster sugar until they dissolve. Allow the marinade to return to the boil then remove from the heat immediately and leave to cool.
- Place the cod in a bowl or sealable sandwich bag and pour over the cooled marinade. Cover (if it's in a bowl) and leave in the fridge to marinade for 24 hrs.
- When you are ready to cook the cod, pre-heat the grill to high. Remove the cod from the miso marinade, and place on an oiled baking tray - skin side down. Reserve the marinade. Cook for about 12 mins until the top is dark golden and the fish tender and cooked through.
- While the cod is under the grill, heat the oil in a wok. Cut the broccoli into 2-3cm long pieces and add to the wok along with the garlic and shiitake mushrooms. Stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding the noodles, pak choi and spring onions.
- Stir-fry until the noodles are heated through and then add a couple of large spoonfuls of the miso marinade. Cook for a minute or so for the marinade to boil and coat all if the ingredients in the wok, and finish by adding the lime juice and coriander.
- Serve the broccoli and Shiitake mushroom noodles with the miso cod, spooning any sauce from the wok over the top of the fish.
Top Tip for making Jo Pratt's miso cod with wok-fried noodles
Jo says: The secret of this recipe is to get a thick piece of cod fillet (about 3cm or more) and to marinate it for 24 hours. Mirin and White miso paste are both available from many supermarkets and health food shops, or try your local Asian food store.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gousto's Wagamama yasai yaki udon
For a perfect taste of takeaway fakery, try this Gousto's Wagamama yasai yaki udon. Serve with sesame seeds and pickled ginger.
By Sibelle Mehmet Published
Chicken, pea and noodle salad
By Sue McMahon Published
Sweet chilli pork with noodles
Looking for pork recipes, noodle recipes, oriental recipes, free recipes, easy pork recipes, quick recipes or quick pork recipes? Succulent pork takes pride of place in this easy-to-prepare noodle dish that's perfect for a flavoursome meal-for-two.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published