A quick and easy supper from Woman's Weekly's April 1958 issue, bought bang up to date. They've tweaked the recipe so it's quicker and easier to make with a fab curry paste and basmati rice that cooks really quickly. These kedgeree stacks are topped with fried eggs instead of the classic boiled eggs which makes the yolk deliciously soft and runny, helping it coat all the grains of rice to make the whole dish saucy.
- 30g (1oz) butter
- About 200g (7oz) smoked haddock
- 1-2 tbsp balti, or other curry paste
- 125g (4oz) basmati rice
- About 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2 medium eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10cm (4in) cookery ring
- Heat butter in frying pan, add the fish, cover and cook on a low heat for 5 mins. Take it out of the pan and put on a plate.
- Stir the curry paste into the buttery juices in the pan, then add the rice and stir well for a min. Pour in 300ml (½ pint) hot water. Cover and cook for 10 mins over a very low heat until the water is almost absorbed.
- Flake the fish, discarding any skin or bones. Add it to the rice, warm through for a min, and then add the parsley.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan and fry the eggs.
- Pack half the kedgeree into the ring on a hot plate to form a “castle”. Remove the ring and on another plate, make a castle with the rest of the mixture. Put an egg on top of each castle. Grind black pepper over and serve hot with a few leaves.
Top Tip for making Kedgeree stacks
Woman's Weekly added a subtle curry flavour to make this dish the perfect supper
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Rocky road Easter eggs
Rocky road Easter eggs are so easy to make with just 4 ingredients including white chocolate, Mini Eggs and marshmallows. Easy and delicious!
By Anneliese Giggins • Published
Mars bar Easter nests
Mini Mars bar nests are so easy to make with the kids and can be decorated with your favourite Easter treats like chocolate eggs
By Jessica Dady • Published
Blueberry and kiwi smoothie
This healthy and easy to make Blueberry and kiwi smoothie is the perfect choice for breakfast or as a quick, pick me up snack.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published