This Kentucky fried chicken recipe is a family favourite. This is a much healthier version as they are baked rather than deep fried, ready in 25 mins. This recipe serves 2 people. Infused with paprika, coriander and cumin, these crispy chicken pieces are so easy to make. A portion of this delicious fried chicken works out at only 420 calories which is much healthier than your average fried chicken takeaway. This recipe bakes the chicken pieces instead of deep frying them too which lowers the fat count too. If you want to cut the cost of this recipe, use chicken thighs instead as they're a much cheaper cut of meat. Serve these delicious, crispy chicken with dips like garlic mayo or ketchup.
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 3 tblsp cornmeal
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, optional
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 2 chicken wings,
- Take a large plastic food bag and put in it a sprinkling of salt and ground black pepper, the spices, flour, cornmeal and thyme, if using.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and wings and seal the top. Shake the bag to coat them thoroughly in the flour and spices. Leave for at least 1 hr or more, if you have time, so that the flavours can mingle.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Tip the chicken pieces into a roasting tin. Drizzle with oil and bake for 20-25 mins, until the juices run clear when a knife is inserted into each drumstick.
Top Tip for making Kentucky fried chicken
To help pull away skin from the chicken, dip your fingers in salt first.