This seasonal favourite is perfect as a Halloween treat or simply as a winter warming starter for your meal. Enjoy this pumpkin soup with crusty bread for real comfort food!
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½tspn coarse ground coriander seeds
- ½tsp coarse ground fennel seeds
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 2 fresh red chilies, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2 lemon grass stalks with the ends crushed
- 2tbsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1kg fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut into approximately 2cm square pieces
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- Salt to season
- Fresh coriander, chopped to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large solid based pan.
- Lightly fry the coriander and fennel seeds, and turmeric together for 2 mins
- Add the diced onion, ginger and garlic, and fry for a further 3-4 mins
- Add the stock, pumpkin, diced chilies and lemon grass, stir well, gentle bring to simmering point and cover.
- When pumpkin is semi soft, add the coconut milk and simmer further until the pumpkin is totally soft.
- Take out the lemongrass, add the lime juice, put in blender until smooth.
- Serve with fresh coriander to garnish
Top Tip for making Lisa Faulkner's warming pumpkin soup
Be careful not to simmer the soup for too long as it will lose it's vivid orange colour
Lisa Faulkner is an actress turned celebrity chef who won series five of the popular BBC TV show, Celebrity Masterchef. Since winning the show in 2010, she has released five cookbooks full of homely recipes that have quickly become family favorites. Born in London, she started modeling at 15 and spent time in Paris before moving on to acting at 16 years old. Lisa went on to star in some of the most well-loved soaps and TV dramas including Holby City, Spooks, and EastEnders. Lisa's cooking and recipes have been inspired by her mother's love for cooking and love for making family dishes that bring everyone together.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Halloween inspired baby names - perfect for autumn newborns
Trick or treat? These Halloween inspired baby names might be right up your street...
By Selina Maycock • Published
When does autumn start? First day of autumn 2022
If you're wondering when does autumn start in the UK, we reveal the official date and month that marks the end of summer and the beginning of autumn
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published