Fed up with bland diet food? Ditch the boring salads for Liz Woollaston's tasty, low-fat prawn kebabs
- Kebabs:175g (6oz) tiger prawns, cooked and peeled
- 125g (4oz) closed cup mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 4 Pitta breads, cut in half lengthways
- Lettuce, any variety
- Low-fat mayonnaise
- 3tbsp honey
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp of sesame seed oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Put the honey in a bowl and add the prawns. Clover with cling film and leave on the side for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame seed oil and garlic to the prawns, re-cover and leave for another 15 mins.
- Remove the skin and stalk from the mushrooms. Cut the pepper and onion into medium-sized chunks (big enough to thread onto the skewer without snapping).
- Remove the prawns from the marinade and thread them onto the skewers, putting some of the vegetables between each one. Do this over the bowl to save any marinade that drips off.
- Place the kebab skewers under a grill on a medium heat or on a griddle pan. Grill for 15 mins or until the edges of the vegetables start to curl and go brown. Brush the prawns with remaining marinade every five mins.
- Dollop a layer of mayonnaise in the pitta breads and spread around with the back of a spoon. Put lettuce leaves on top and then fill with a kebab. Serve with salad, or chunky chips.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Prawn toast is incredibly easy to make yourself and so delicious it's almost criminal. This recipe for prawn toast is prepped in just ten mins too.
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published
Slimming World removes low-fat soft cheese from the Healthy Extras list
And they’ve cut the daily syns allowance…
By Jessica Ransom • Published