Iceberg lettuce makes a healthy, refreshing change from the usual wraps or pancakes in this Malaysian duck in lettuce cups recipe. This dish is so quick and easy to make - the meat is stir-fried for a few minutes with a mixture of spices and then paired with crunchy veg for a fresh, flavourful filling. This serving sizes here are for a starter, but you could easily add some rice or extra side dishes to turn it in to a hearty main course.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh coarsely grated ginger
- About 300g cooked duck meat, from 2 duck breasts, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped (or 60g bamboo shoots)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 60g fresh shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 60g fresh beansprouts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2tsp crushed dried chilli flakes
- 1⁄2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 4tsp dark soy sauce
- 2tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- A good handful each of chopped fresh mint and coriander
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, leaves pulled apart into cup shapes
- Heat a wok over high heat, add the oils, then the garlic, ginger and duck and stir-fry for a couple of mins. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the fresh herbs, and stir-fry for half a minute to keep all the veg crunchy. Stir in the herbs.
- To serve, put in a hot serving dish and place on the table, so guests can pile it into the lettuce cups themselves and then wrap the lettuce around the mixture.
Top Tip for making Malaysian duck in lettuce cups
Leave out the chilli flakes if you're not too keen on spice
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Looking for new ideas for lower-fat family dinners? This maple-glazed duck recipe is full of flavour and makes a change from your usual meals
By Sue McMahon Published
Creme Egg cupcakes
By Victoria Threader Published
Roasted orange duck and roasted potatoes
This delicious roasted orange duck duck recipe uses sharp juniper berries, zesty orange juice and runny honey to create a really rich body of flavours
By GoodtoKnow Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published