Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Learn how to make the perfect dark chocolate mousse with our easy step-by-step recipe video from Mark Hix
- 250g good quality dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 9 very fresh egg whites
- 6 egg yolks beaten
- 125g caster sugar
- Put the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring every so often until melted. Make sure you don't get any water near the chocolate. Remove from the heat and beat the butter into the chocolate with a whisk or spoon until smooth.
- In a bowl whisk the egg whites until frothy but not stiff, using a mixer or an electric whisk on a medium high speed. Add half the sugar to the egg white and continue whisking on a low setting until the egg whites are stiff. Add the rest of the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites stiffen up even more, then mix in the egg yolks with a metal spoon.
- Carefully stir half the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture - a whisk helps - then stir the rest in with a large spoon until well mixed in. Pour into a large serving dish and leave to set for a couple of hours, or overnight.
Top Tip for making Mark Hix's dark chocolate mousse
When whisking your egg whites make sure the bowl is really clean - preferably washed in boiling water to remove any grease, and dried