Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Meringue roulade with fig and pistachio filling is one seriously sophisticated dessert. Light as air and not too sweet, this impressive looking pud can be made in advance, so it's ideal if you're looking for an easy-to-prepare dish that will wow your friends and family
- 4 medium egg whites
- 180g caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp cornflour
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 60g pistachios, finely chopped
- 5tbsp icing sugar
- 150g fresh figs, sliced into thin wedges
- 3tbsp port
- Zest and juice of ½ orange
- 150ml fig jam
- 300ml double cream
- 3tbsp brandy
- Heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line a 20 x 30 cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the whites to stiff peaks, then gradually add the sugar, whisking until glossy. Sift in the cornflour, add the vinegar and 20g pistachios and whisk again to combine. Spoon into the tin, smooth the surface and bake for 15 mins, until puffed up and set. Cool for 15 mins, then turn out onto a clean sheet of parchment dusted with 2tbsp icing sugar.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat the fig slices with the port, orange zest and juice for 2 mins, then stir through the jam and 30g pistachios. Peel off the old parchment and spread the roulade with the jam mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cream, brandy and remaining icing sugar to soft peaks and spread over the jam.
- Holding the parchment, roll up the meringue from one short end to the other. Scatter over the remaining pistachios and chill.
Top Tip for making Meringue roulade with fig and pistachio filling
This roulade will keep iin the fridge for up to 2 days.