These mini banana and walnut loaves are easy to make and are the perfect food gift. These mini cakes look great and are delicious too.
For the cakes:
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 4tbsp milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g packet walnut pieces, chopped
For the topping:
- 6 level tbsp icing sugar
- 12 x mini loaf moulds on a baking tray
- Small disposable piping bag
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until well combined, then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Lightly beat together the eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract and pour into the bowl. Beat the ingredients well, then fold in the mashed banana and about three-quarters of the walnuts. Divide the mixture between the loaf moulds and sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins, or until they’ve risen and are just firm to the touch. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the topping, add sufficient water to the icing sugar to give a drizzling consistency, adding just a small amount at a time. Fill the piping bag with the icing and cut off the end of the bag, then drizzlethe icing over the top of the cakes. Leave the icing to set before packing the cakes.
- The cakes will keep for up to 5-7 days in a cool, dry place.
Top Tip for making Mini banana and walnut loaves
You can buy these mini loaf moulds from lots of cookware stores including Lakeland
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Mary Berry's Christmas fruit cake
Mary Berry's Christmas fruit cake is packed with luxury dried fruit, ground almonds, and nuts and a twist of pineapple. Bakes in just 2 hours 15 mins.
By Mary Berry • Published
Mini Christmas cakes
These impressive, muffin-sized, brandy infused mini Christmas cakes are perfect for sharing with family and friends this Christmas – sweet and delicious
By Jessica Dady • Published
Crispy rosemary and garlic potatoes
Coating your roasties in polenta makes them extra crisp without the need for excessive oil...
By Jess Meyer • Published