These mini banana and walnut loaves are easy to make and are the perfect food gift. These mini cakes look great and are delicious too.
For the cakes:
- 125g butter, softened
- 250g light muscovado sugar
- 300g plain flour
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 4tbsp milk
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 100g packet walnut pieces, chopped
For the topping:
- 6 level tbsp icing sugar
- 12 x mini loaf moulds on a baking tray
- Small disposable piping bag
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until well combined, then sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Lightly beat together the eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract and pour into the bowl. Beat the ingredients well, then fold in the mashed banana and about three-quarters of the walnuts. Divide the mixture between the loaf moulds and sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins, or until they’ve risen and are just firm to the touch. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
- To make the topping, add sufficient water to the icing sugar to give a drizzling consistency, adding just a small amount at a time. Fill the piping bag with the icing and cut off the end of the bag, then drizzlethe icing over the top of the cakes. Leave the icing to set before packing the cakes.
- The cakes will keep for up to 5-7 days in a cool, dry place.
Top Tip for making Mini banana and walnut loaves
You can buy these mini loaf moulds from lots of cookware stores including Lakeland
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer Published
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake
Mary Berry's chocolate cake recipe uses the all-in-one method so it's quick and easy to make.
By Mary Berry Last updated
Mini Christmas cakes
These impressive, muffin-sized, brandy infused mini Christmas cakes are perfect for sharing with family and friends this Christmas – sweet and delicious
By Jessica Dady Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published