Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This colourful mixed bean salad is a great side dish to serve as part of a summer buffet. It’s very healthy and a great source of fibre – and tastes really refreshing too. It goes down well when served at a summer barbecue for vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Spring onions add a delicious tangy flavor to the dish along with the tender sweet corn and red wine vinegar which gives it a kick. This healthy dish can be served for lunch or as a starter on a summer’s day.
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 400g can flageolet beans, drained
- 410g cannellini beans, drained
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 390g carton black beans, drained
- 100g sweetcorn, cooked and drained
- 4-6tbsp olive oil
- 2-3tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- a little clear honey
- salt and pepper to serve
- Mix together the spring onions, garlic and red pepper in a bowl.
- Tip all the canned beans and sweetcorn into a large sieve and rinse well under cold water before adding to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and seasoning to form a dressing (adjust the quantities according to taste). Drizzle over the bean mixture and toss gently.
Top Tip for making Mixed bean salad
You can ring the changes by using lots of different beans. For example, try red kidney beans instead of the butter beans, and try adding a couple of tablespoons of freshly chopped herbs (such as flatleaf parsley or coriander) as well.