Our delicious Moroccan-style slaw is a real winner with the whole family. Mix spices and chilli to red onions, peppers and cabbage in a large bowl and that's really all there is to it - super easy! This twist on the traditional coleslaw recipe is great served with grilled meat or fish as a healthy midweek meal. It's also really quick to make too so you can just whip it up while you wait for the meat or fish to grill. This exotic slaw recipe works equally as well packed into lunch boxes, and it's a healthy and fun way to make your lunch more exciting without adding the unnecessary calories or spending tons of money. And if you're trying to shed pounds or simply trying to maintain your weight, you'll be very happy to know this coleslaw works out only 87 calories per serving - so perfect if you're on a diet! This Moroccan-style coleslaw recipe serves 6 to 8 people but you can easily double up the quantities of the ingredients if you're feeding more people. This delicious recipe will take only 15 mins to make, ideal if you're short on time but still want a delicious side dish.
- 2 level tbsp caster sugar
- 2 level tsp Ras el hanout
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Shake of Tabasco sauce, optional
- ½-1 large red chilli, deseeded
- 1 small red onion, peeled
- 1 Romano or bell red pepper, deseeded
- 200g (7oz) Savoy cabbage wedge
- 200g (7oz) red cabbage wedge
- Mix the sugar and spice in a large bowl with the vinegar, oil and a pinch of salt, and adding Tabasco, if you like.
- Finely slice the chilli and onion and add to the dressing in the bowl. Slice the pepper into thin strips and add to the bowl.
- Finely shred the cabbage wedges, discarding the core. Add to the other ingredients and mix well (with your hand is best). Serve the salad on its own or with grilled meat or fish. This makes a lot, but it will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Top Tip for making Moroccan-style coleslaw
Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice blend of black pepper, coriander, ginger, paprika, allspice, cardamom, mace, nutmeg, turmeric, cayenne, cloves and rose petals.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Christmas red cabbage
Christmas red cabbage is a delicious way to cook cabbage with a festive twist. We've added port and cranberries for a simple but delicious sweet and sour edge.
By Rosie Hopegood Published
Roast cabbage wedges
Roast cabbage wedges are a brilliant winter side dish - so simple to do but tasty with a lovely crunch to the texture.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slimming World coronation quiche
This Slimming World coronation quiche is certainly fit for royalty packed with spinach, broad beans, and fresh tarragon...
By Slimming World Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello t