Made with roasted lamb, rice, veg and a touch of spice, this Mulligatawny soup is certainly full of flavour. Turn it into a hearty meal by serving with spicy potato wedges
- 300g (10oz) lamb neck fillet
- 2 tbsp medium balti curry paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 parsnip, peeled
- 1 medium potato, peeled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 500g carton passata
- 900ml (1½ pints) hot lamb, chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 180g pack frozen cooked basmati rice
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
For the potato wedges
- 3 large baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Rub the lamb all over with 2 tsp of the curry paste. Put in a roasting tin, cover with foil, and roast for 45 mins. Set aside to rest for 10 mins or longer, then shred the meat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened. Chop the carrot and parsnip into thick slices and the potato and pepper into 1cm (½in) chunks. Add to the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- Increase the heat and stir in the rest of the curry paste, cook stirring for 2 mins, then pour in the passata and the stock. Season, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 mins or until the veg are just tender. Add the rice and shredded lamb and heat through. Serve sprinkled with torn coriander leaves.
- To make the potato wedges: Scrub the potatoes and cut into wedges (5-6 per person). Brush them all over with oil, put on a Teflon-lined baking sheet, sprinkle them with cumin seeds. Roast in the oven for 45 mins while the lamb is cooking, turning them halfway through cooking.
Top Tip for making Mulligatawny soup with spicy potato wedges
This soup is great for using up leftovers from a Sunday roast!
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
This delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too - a delicious winter warmer!
By Sue McMahon Published