A delicious combination of woodland flavours – perfect to warm you up on a chilly night. Mushrooms and hazelnuts make perfect partners and a touch of cream adds a little extra indulgence. Seasoned with thyme, garlic and lemon juice, this hearty soup is tasty and satisfying. Taking just minutes to prepare, it is worth giving the tin opener a miss to make this yummy fresh soup instead. It also makes a great dinner party starter, served with crusty bread and a swirl of sour cream on top.
- 50g butter
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 1ltr milk
- 3tsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- A clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 180g chopped mushrooms
- 2tsp thyme, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 125ml double cream
- 50g roasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and mix together until smooth, then cook for about 1 min.
- Remove the saucepan from the cooker and gradually stir in the milk until it is thoroughly combined, without lumps.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, while stirring continuously. When thickened, remove the pan from the heat.
- In a separate pan, cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook for a further 3 mins.
- Stir in the sauce mixture and simmer together for 10 mins, then add the lemon juice.
- Blend the soup until smooth. Finally, mix in the cream and chopped hazelnuts, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Top Tip for making Mushroom and hazelnut soup
For a bit of chunky texture to your soup, remove 2 large spoonfuls of mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside before blending the soup, then add them back in at the end.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Mum shares insanely easy and cheap hack to clean the pesky dust behind your radiators
By Selina Maycock • Published